5 Household Items You Can Use to Get Rid of Mould

If you have damp in your home, it might be caused by the often wet and cold UK environment, especially if you don’t have enough ventilation or have a below-par heating system. Mould growth is inevitable once moisture forms, putting your family’s health at risk. Needless to say,moisture and mould problems must be addressed immediately, otherwise, on top of the health risks posed by mould spores, elevated moisture levels can start affecting the structural integrity in some parts of your house.

Getting rid of mould, however, can be easier than carrying out full renovations, so you should start by getting rid of the mould growth first. 

To be able to get rid of mould, it is important to know the root cause of the state of disrepair in your home. There are a number of problems that might cause this type of disrepair; aside from poor ventilation, other common causes of mould are leaky roofs, cracks in walls, plumbing issues, and all household activities that involve the use of water or any form of liquid. Cooking with oil and hanging your wet laundry to dry are also culprits.

Black mould is a dark greenish or black stain on your roof and walls. If conditions are right, these grow and multiply, creating more dark spots and splotches you commonly see in the damp and dark areas in your home. The spores of these fungi can cause allergies, including severe asthma and chronic obstructive lung diseases.

Household items to remove mould

Small black stains on your roof or wall are the first signs you have a mould infestation. Luckily, common household items can kill and clean these up. The following are some examples of household things that you can use to remove mould:


Bleach can effectively sterilise and clean surfaces while also making them mould-resistant. It is, however, only effective on non-porous surfaces like glass, tiles, sinks, counters, and bathtubs. 

In a spray bottle, combine one part bleach with 10 parts water and mix. Spray it on the infested area. Allow the sprayed solution to dry on the surface without rinsing to avoid mould recurrence.

As bleach is made of harsh chemicals, be careful not to inhale the fumes. Wear a protective mask and gloves all throughout the application.

Baking soda

Baking soda is considerably safer to use if you have small children or pets in your home because it is non-toxic. It kills mould spores and helps get rid of the musty odour. 

For spraying, mix one tablespoon of powder with four glasses of water, or sprinkle the powder directly on the surface and let it sit for an hour before cleaning the area with a hard bristle brush.

To remove mould from tiles, make a paste by combining just enough water with baking soda. Apply the paste to the tiles, scrub them thoroughly, and then rinse with water.


White distilled vinegar destroys most mould species and is safe to use even in the presence of dogs and children. 

In a spray bottle, combine one part vinegar and one part water and spray the solution onto the affected area to kill the mould growths. Allow an hour for it to remain on the surface before wiping it away with a damp towel. 

Hydrogen Peroxide

You can often find your 3% solution hydrogen peroxide in your medicine cabinet as it is a common antiseptic. Although it has bleaching properties that can restore the whiteness of clothes and surfaces, it does not emit toxic fumes, making it safe to use. 

Transfer your hydrogen peroxide to a spray bottle and saturate the affected areas with it. Let it stand for ten minutes before scrubbing and wiping off the surface. 


Ammonia is ideal for removing mould on glass, tiles, countertops, and other non-porous surfaces. 

Mix one part of water with one part of clear ammonia, and put the mixture inside a spray bottle. Spray the solution onto the surface and leave the room for three to four hours. Rinse and wipe the solution from the infested area.

A caveat: ammonia is highly toxic. Wear protective gear such as safety goggles, face mask, and disposable gloves when cleaning with it. In addition, avoid mixing ammonia and bleach. Such a solution will emit harmful fumes.

When mould is out of control

Preventing new mould growth in your home is crucial, so an immediate solution to the problem would be to keep your home clean at all times. Additionally, you can use dehumidifiers to improve air quality, open up windows to let the air flow, and draw the curtains open so there is natural light.

Mould growth will be uncontrollable if the disrepair in your home is not addressed. If you rent your home, whatever the source of the damp, you must let your landlord know by reporting the damaged areas to them the moment you discover the problems. Send them an email or a text message with accompanying photographs and videos that will serve as your evidence should you need to bring the matter to court.

Give your landlord 21 days to respond to your report. Make a follow up just in case they didn’t get your message the first time. You can seek legal assistance to get action on the repairs if your landlord keeps ignoring your repair requests. In case your landlord doesn’t respond within the reasonable amount of time provided, immediately contact the housing disrepair experts at DisrepairClaim.co.uk. They can help you claim compensation against your landlord for causing so much inconvenience to you and your family.

Comments are closed.